ISG Community Etiquette & Remediation Guide
This guide is here to help us all recognise, appreciate, and respect the diversity of the Guild. The ISG welcomes contributions from everyone who shares our goals and wants to contribute in a healthy and constructive manner within our community. As such, we have implemented this etiquette guide, community rules and remediation procedure, and require all those who participate to agree and adhere to abide by this Community Participation Guide in order to help us create a safe and positive community experience for all.
These guidelines aim to support a community where all people should feel safe to participate, introduce new ideas and inspire others, regardless of:
- Family status
- Gender identity or expression
- Marital status
- Sexual orientation
- Native language
- Race and/or ethnicity
- National origin
- Socioeconomic status
- Geographic location
- Any other dimension of diversity (excluding Political factors)
Openness, collaboration and participation are central to Socialism. We gain strength from diversity and actively seek participation from those who embrace and enhance it. These guidelines exist to enable diverse individuals and groups to interact and collaborate to mutual advantage. This document outlines both encouraged and prohibited behaviour.
Here are some tips on how to succeed in a ‘forum’ environment:
- Professional Respect: This is a private members forum, consisting of members who have paid to be here, staff, and those who give freely of their time and expertise to make this community what it is. Please provide everyone here with the courtesy and professional respect we as Socialists all deserve from one another.
- Hierarchy: This is an equal Guild. There are no ‘senior’ Socialists here. There are no ‘junior’ Socialists here. Participation and contribution to the cause are the methods by which people earn respect and kudos within the Guild. Titles, privileges and status outside of the community mean nothing inside it. YOU. ARE. ALL. EQUAL.
- Care: You never know what your fellow Socialists are experiencing in their world. Please show empathy and compassion to all Guild members if you are able.
- Be Inclusive: Seek diverse perspectives. Diversity of views and of people boosts innovation, even if it is not always comfortable. Encourage all voices. Help new perspectives be heard and listen actively. If you find yourself dominating a discussion, it is especially important to step back and encourage other voices to join in. Be aware of how much time is taken up by dominant members of the group. Provide alternative ways to contribute or participate when possible.
Be inclusive of everyone in an interaction, respecting and facilitating people’s participation including consideration of things such as:
- They do not speak your native language.
- Guild members may come from a different culture.
- Using pronouns other than “he” or “she”.
- Living in a different time zone.
- Facing other challenges to participate, such as physical or cognitive factors.
*Think about how you might facilitate alternative ways to contribute or participate. If you find yourself dominating a discussion, step back. Make way for other voices and listen actively to them.*
- Read & Re-Read Before Posting: When you are going to post either a new thread or a response, take a little time to proof-read it, sense check it, and emotion-check it before publishing. Imagine how others could perceive it before posting.
- Topic Organisation: All topics are organised by category, and context. Please post in the correct areas to help our moderation and admin teams to keep the forums tidy and organised. Posts and threads in the wrong areas will be moved without notice, so it’s good for you to help us here.
- Topic Focus: When you are participating in a conversational thread, please try and stay on topic. Meandering threads are difficult for people to read and to gain value from.
- Search: The search function is your friend. Duplicated topics or posts will get deleted, so try and use the search function to see if your contribution has already been provided by another Guild member. Contributing to someone else’s conversation is a GOOD thing here in the Guild community.
- Spamming: Please do not share identical content, or snippets of identical content, to multiple threads in the discussion forums. This includes creating more than one thread for your topic and creating multiple “slightly different” threads for a single topic. It is spamming, and it will land you in trouble with the admins and moderators.
- Profanity: Whilst we allow some mild profanity, please do not ‘eff and ‘jeff constantly. A safe space needs to feel safe for everyone. (This is NOT social media.)
- Attribution: If you quote someone, or use someone else’s content or material, providing your contribution obeys copyright or licencing rules, please provide an attribution to the creator where possible.
- Massive Pictures / Files: This community platform provides media storage facilities for a reason – to make life easier for you to share, collaborate and educate with each other. If this facility is abused either on purpose or through ignorance, we will have to withdraw it. Please try and keep file sizes to a minimum or use external links to resources like GoogleDrive or OneDrive.
- Recruitment / Sales / Proselytization: If you want to build your organisation or campaign here by recruiting people, please get permission from the ISG first. It’s just good manners eh? There will be no selling or buying in the ISG community for now, and definitely no religious adventurism. There are plenty of other places for those activities.
- It Is Still *THE INTERNET*: As internet communities go, this one is quite secure. But it is still the internet. Try to be mindful that whilst the Guild can protect you to a point, we provide a ‘deterrent’ to wrongful behaviour, not a ‘prevention’ to it. People can STILL GET TO YOU. So take care with how vulnerable you make yourself in the community.
DO NOT FORGET - UNLESS OTHERWISE MARKED AS "OPEN SOURCE", ALL CONTENT IN THIS FORUM IS PRIVATE, AND NOT TO BE SHARED, COPIED OR REMOVED FROM THE FORUM, NOR USED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE AS PROSCRIBED IN THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
ISG COMMUNITY REMEDIAL ACTION
If behaviour is presented by ISG member that is not in line with the letter, or the spirit of the community guidelines or the terms and conditions of membership, the following process is followed:
- Warning: Depending on how serious a violation is, you may be issued a warning first.
- Muting: Muting for 3 days.
- Muting: Muting for 10 days.
- Temporary Ban: People who cause more problems after being muted for 10 days will be banned for a month, and for 2 months for the next misdemeanour.
- Permanent Ban: At this point ISG Membership is revoked, and a permanent ban is necessary.